To enrich the lives of members and the community through our legacy of women’s fellowship and charitable service and, through stewardship of our historic building to provide a place for social, civic and cultural programs and events.
The Santa Monica Bay Woman’s Club was organized in 1905 by Elmira T. Stephens with an initial membership of 88 women. It incorporated 1911. Three years later, the new club house was completed. The club members led very efficient fund raising and recruiting campaigns and by 1922 the original mortgage was fully paid off. By the 1950s, the membership had grown to 700, and the ladies were involved in numerous activities such as the Needlework Guild and the Well-Baby Clinic. Members also organized Red Cross activities, hosted USO parties for servicemen during WWII and supported the local community in many other ways. Today, over 100 years after the founding of our Club, our members still play an important part in our community, by supporting local charities, by organizing cultural events for the community, by preserving our Historic Landmark Clubhouse for future generations and by continuing the tradition of fellowship established by generations of Club members.
What We Do
According to our bylaws, the purpose of our club is “the advancement in all lines of culture, education, welfare, service and civic affairs”. We organize cultural programs for our monthly meetings, support local charities and sponsor grants and scholarships. Our benefit parties are a lot of fun! Some of the many organizations and schools we helped in the past were Santa Monica High School, Santa Monica College, the Rape Treatment Center, the Salvation Army, Sunlight Mission, Operation Smile, Heal The Bay, K9 Foundation, Santa Monica Firefighters, WISE, OPCC’s Daybreak Center, Reading Opens Minds, School on Wheels, Free Arts for Abused Children, Center for the Partially Sighted, Pennies for Pines, OneVoice, My Stuff Bags Foundation, Naomi House, Search Dog Foundation, USO and West Side Foodbank. However, our most important role is to give our members a home away from home, a place where they can meet other women and form friendships to share life’s wonderful and also its sorrowful moments.
Membership in State and National Organizations
Our Club joined the General Federation of Woman’s Clubs in 1910 and the California Federation of Women’s Clubs in 1923.
Together the Clubs belonging to the GFWC make a significant contribution to their local communities. The GFWC Annual Report for 2012-2013 states that members participated in 90,945 projects, volunteered 4,439,653 hours, donated $12,800,309 and made In-Kind donations of $13,649,882. More than 4,000 women’s clubs are members of the GFWC, representing more than 100,000 members.
In 1955 the California Federation of Women’s Clubs reorganized into 26 districts. The Santa Monica Bay Woman’s Club is part of “Marina” District 18.